Seufert Winery

Friday, March 10, 2006

I’m almost licensed.

Months after completing the arduous federal and state winery licensing paperwork, it’s nearing approval.

I spent a portion of today with a local TTB field investigator (federal government). We met at the winery, reviewed my application, and clarified a few minor points (for example: what is the name of the local power company? Or: I need a copy of your bank statements.).

Technically, my winery shares an ‘alternating’ premise with Coleman Vineyard. The TTB is very concerned about clear delineation between the winery spaces. They do not want my wine to intermingle with the Coleman’s.

My area was roped off, and we proposed going a step further by using portable office division panels to provide a distinct boundary. The investigator was reluctant to accept this solution, but after discussing the legal requirements we agreed that this was entirely adequate.

He said approval is imminent. Good.

I’ve also been working with the State of Oregon Liquor Control Comission (OLCC). They wanted bank statements too. I also had to disclose a 10 year old traffic ticket. Luckily, I don’t have any additional criminal events to report. I had to get a second bond - ensuring that I'll pay the state alcohol taxes (you guessed it, the first one ensures I'll pay the federal taxes).

Every person that serves alcohol in the state of Oregon must hold an alcohol Service Permit. To get said permit, you must attend a 4.5 hour training course and score at least 70% on a 50 question exam.

As a potential licensed premise owner, I am required to get a service permit prior to the liquor license being issued. I attended a course a couple weeks ago. It was me and five 20-something women – including a first grade teacher that is moon-lighting at a national chain restaurant. The instructor did a great job getting us through the dry material. The highlight had to be the beer goggles used to simulate intoxication. The second-best highlight was the presence of the OLCC evaluator performing his annual assessment of the independent instructor.

I scored 98% on my exam.

One more hurdle crossed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged