Seufert Winery

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Acids.

I got a call from Kim Coleman today, to discuss acid levels.

We’ve been puzzled by mysteriously low acid levels during cold soak and primary fermentation. Her fermentations have finished, and she had the lab run acid numbers on all of her lots. Surprise – the acid levels bumped up to the expected range.

So now we’re speculating why.

Her thoughts are that due to our low cold soak temps, that the natural acids bound to the potassium – changing the chemical composition. This change in chemical state “masked” the acids. Fermentation released these acids so they are now measurable. Well, that’s the theory. If you have better ideas, please share them.

Regardless, this is good news since the acid levels are now in the expected range.

My wine is a couple of days behind hers in the fermentation process. Once my fermentation is complete, I’ll test my acid levels to confirm that I got a bump as well. Keep your fingers crossed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged