Seufert Winery

Friday, June 02, 2006


2006 Barrel Decisions

I’m finalizing my barrel strategy for this year. My 2005 wine is in a variety of barrels from Francois Frere, Rousseau, and Remond.

At my recent open house, the majority of people preferred the Rousseau. This particular barrel is from the Chatillon forest, and is a “heavy toast, toasted head” style. The toast level refers to how much the barrel insides are heated during manufacturing. Heavier toasting imparts more flavors on the wine, and is suitable for bigger wines.

The Coleman Vineyard fruit produces a big, bold Pinot that matches well with this barrel. In fact, more than one person said that they would like to buy a case of wine from just that one barrel. Instead, the wine in this barrel will be blended with the other barrels, contributing to a well-rounded finished wine.

The wine in this barrel is delicious, and consumers love it. It’s a wine that the reviewers will probably like as well. But, it’s not a purists Pinot.

Here’s my dilemma: do I create a more traditional Burgundian style Pinot, or do I respond to the marketplace and produce a big, bold, new-world style Pinot?

Please share your thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Blog Directory - Blogged